Some people come in your life as blessings..Others come in your life as lessons....

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Mixed feelings of desperated housewife !!!


I hate being called a housewife. There I said it. I hate being assumed as a housewife although the assumption is certainly true in my case. Unemployed? Yes. Jobless? Yes. Stay at home mom? Oh yes! Homemaker in sugar coating words.. But housewife? Certainly not. Just the sound of that word makes me go crazy and if I get my hands on the person who spoke that word, God save him from this housewife. When people use this word, I can hear a slight disapproval if that person is working, a sadistic satisfaction if she's a housewife as well, a look of pity, a look of accusation,... May be I am reading into it too much but its there nevertheless. I have to be honest here. I am slightly ashamed that I don’t work. But 4 years ago, I decided to quit my job to glob trot with my husband and now that I am a mother as well, I don’t regret it one bit. These 4 years have been the happiest in my life. I lived the life I always wanted to live..I had the best years with my husband which we can never have again.. You can’t describe this entire experience in one word - housewife!

As soon as people ask me if I am housewife, I nod my head and hurriedly clarify that I WAS working, I quit, I might go back to working, etc.. I remember once while I was traveling by bus, I explained a long story to a co-passenger how I was working for the company how I was traveling to Chennai to get my visa (dependent visa), answering her questions about how "my" company was doing, "my project", "my" work hours!....I do long to be a career woman. But I did have it once and absolutely hated it because of routine work everyday..As they say, the other side will always be green. I hope I find something interesting, close to my heart, something I am passionate about to work on. I am doing nothing right now to go look for it. But someday I will and when I do, I will be proud of it. Just like I am today.

Being at home with my son was a real learning experience! Some days were amazing and I felt thrilled and proud at being able to witness and guide the growth of this little being. Some days were highly frustrating and tiring and what I couldn't wait to get "back out in the world." All of the days (and often nights) were long and challenging. But when that first birthday rolled around, and it came time to look at putting Kavin in daycare, I simply couldn't do it. The very thought of it made me want to cry and throw up at the same time. I just wasn't ready to let go of my role as stay-at-home mama.

Now i have many roles ...I'm a teacher and a doctor and a therapist and a cook... I'm a playgroup leader and a baby sitter and a nutritionist. I'm a personal shopper and a cleaning lady and accountant too.. I'm the CEO of this operation, and I'm pretty good at it...I'm on call 24/7...

PS: hey I am a blogger too.....

No comments:

Post a Comment